Which version of python I should use if I just start programming in python?

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Sun Sep 13 18:26:20 EDT 2009

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:04:25 -0500 Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Andreas Waldenburger
> <usenot at geekmail.invalid> wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:52:44 -0500 Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> What are the differences between 2.5 and 2.6?
> >
> > http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.6.html
>
> Are all packages available in 2.5 also available in 2.6?

If the release notes don't say otherwise, then yes.

The general rule is this: *Only* Python 3 breaks backwards
compatibility. If it works in Python 2.n then it will work unmodified
in Python 2.(n+1).

Please note that I'm talking about the *standard library* and the
language itself, of course. Usually newer versions are not as widely
supported as older ones as far as third party modules go.

/W

--
INVALID? DE!