Python and 3d

Ian Mallett geometrian at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 14:04:42 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM, Mike C. Fletcher <mcfletch at vrplumber.com>wrote:

> There's a few older projects to load 3DS files, but I don't think any of
> them is currently PyOpenGL 3.x compatible.

I would be interested in making them 3.x compatible.   Where are they?  I've
wanted .3ds support for a while...

> OpenGLContext loads VRML97
> files (with SimpleParse installed).  Pyglet, OpenGLContext and Ian
> Mallet's game engine all load .obj models (I believe Ian's engine is the
> most advanced there).

"Mallett" :-)
My .obj loader is actually a version of
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/OBJFileLoader?parent=CookBook, which is
excellent, tweaked to return the actual data (for VBOs, texture object
modification, etc.) and provide stuff like signed tangents for various
effects.  Likewise cannibalizing existing .3ds code would be nice...  I also
have a loader for .raw objects, but that was far simpler.  Like a LOT
simpler.  I can help you with getting stuff set up if that's what you were
asking (I didn't receive the original email, so....)
Ian