How to define a function with an empty body?

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Sat Sep 12 23:49:02 EDT 2009

Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to define a function without anything in it body. In C++, I can
> do something like the following because I can use "{}" to denote an
> empty function body. Since python use indentation, I am not sure how
> to do it. Can somebody let me know how to do it in python?
>
> void f() {
> }

Syntactically, there has to be something in the function definition.  It can
be a `pass` statement, or a doc string, though:

Python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:56:41)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
>>> def f():
...   "empty function"
>>> f()
>>> print f()
None
>>> def g():
  File "<stdin>", line 2

    ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block
>>> def h():
...   pass
>>> print h()
None