Modifying a row in a textfile

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Sep 12 10:52:24 EDT 2009

Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 14:21:59 +0200, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>
>> Olli Virta wrote:
>>

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I got a textfile made out of database records. Is there an easy way to
>>> modify rows in that file in case you have to take away some items here
>>> and there from each rows.
>>>
>> for line in inf.readlines():
>>     if matches_criteria(line):
>>        line = modify_line(line)
>>     outf.write(line)
>>

> In other words, no. You need to put the results in another file.
>
> /Jorgen

If it is important that this ends up in the same file, you can simplify
the code by using fileinput.input() with the "inplace" paramater.  It
renames the input file, redirects stdout to a new file with the original
name, and deletes the renamed file, all at appropriate times.  There are
a few caveats, so be careful.  The main caveat is to make sure you close
the file.

DaveA