Distutils - can user designate install directory for windows installer?

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Sat Sep 12 09:47:21 EDT 2009

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:10:38 +1000, Mark Hammond
<skippy.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/09/2009 1:57 AM, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
>> I have successfully built a windows installer for my python program
>> using distutils, (python setup.py bdist_wininst), but is there a way to
>> do it that will allow a user ('user' == 'boss', in this case!) to
>> designate the installation directory, rather than being forced to
>> install into /Python/Lib/site-packages ? Thanks for any help.
>
> bdist_wininst is for packaging python modules or packages and so depends
> on Python itself being installed.  As a result, it only installs into
> where Python libs and modules are generally installed.
>
> It sounds like you are looking for something to create a stand-alone
> version of your program - in that case you are probably looking for
> py2exe to create the application itself [...]

No, that does not follow from what he writes.  To me it seems he wants
a windows installer which can be run by a non-administrator,
installing probably to that guy's home directory.  Or maybe to a
networked disk -- anywhere but the standard place.

I don't know how that works.  I *do* know that you can do "setup.py
install --prefix somewhere" but the guy who does that needs to have
the actual source code, not a windows installer.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .