uses for setup.cfg and extracting data from it

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Sep 11 18:14:54 EDT 2009

"P.J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> If you're talking about setup.py, all you need to do is use the
> distutils functions that allow you to run a setup.py without executing
> any of its commands.

Specifically, I want to programmatically access the metadata that is
held in the arguments to the ‘distutils.setup()’ call. Without, as you
say, executing any Distutils command.

I am not aware of any ‘distutils’ public functions that can do that, and
reading <URL:http://docs.python.org/distutils/> again doesn't enlighten
me. Would you be more specific about what these functions are?

--
 \     “Guaranteed to work throughout its useful life.” —packaging for |
  `\                                          clockwork toy, Hong Kong |