logging sound / speech handler?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Sep 9 19:02:06 EDT 2009

> For an application in an industrial environment where the workers are
> not always sitting in front of the monitor, but are within earshot of
> the PC I would need an sound / speech handler for the standard logging
> system. It should beep or better say the logging message. (with
> standard filtering etc.)
> I google search was not successfull.
> Does anybode know of such a handler?

I think this would end up being an OS-specific thing.  On Win32,
Stef suggests using SAPI (which may need to be installed for
older versions such as Win2k).  I've not used Win32 TTS for a
while, and don't have ready access to a Win32 box with sound to
run some tests.

On *nix, there's the Festival/Flite/Mbrola suite of TTS tools.
You might be able to have one of their toolkit listen on a pipe
to read whatever comes in, and then just log to that FIFO target
as a file.

-tkc