start default application for read a pdf from python

Angelo Ballabio angbal at email.it
Wed Sep 9 15:59:22 EDT 2009

Thenks for this suggestion, at the end I find this solution

import os
.
.
#then where I decide to show the file in the default application I put this

	#file_name the name I construct with path and all necessary
	#recor contain all the data of one record end the 4th position
	#the name of the file
	#for example
	file_name = os.path.join('document',str(record[3]) + ".pdf")
	#the joun function make the separator from ducoment to the file
	#name relative to operatin system (windows '\') , (unix '/')

	#then where I call the default program
	if os.name == "nt":
		os.filestart("%s" % nome_file)
	elif os.name == "posix":
		os.system("/usr/bin/xdg-open %s" % nome_file)

Other nice solution is

	import webbrowser
	.
	.
	.
	webbrowser.open(file_name)

The difference is in unix sistem, the first call the default program for
read the file of type, in this case pdf, this meens okular, acroread, or
whatever, the second open the konqueror in kde desktop, in windows the
function os.filestart call the default application for thet type of file

interesting discussion about this I find in :

very thenks to all
Angelo