How to access ODBC databases ?

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 10:14:27 EDT 2009

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
> Timothy Madden wrote:
> <cut>
> [...]

> It has been a couple of years, but I remember vaguely that back in the
> days of PossgreSQL 6, if you want ODBC support you needed to compile PG
> a bit different then normal, I am not really sure what options those
> where and if this still applies, I decided to not use ODBC because it
> resulted in an undesirable effect somewhere else. Though I am not sure
> if that is still the case.

Sorry to hear that. I think ODBC is an important step towards
DBMS-independent applications, or even database applications portable
over DBMSs.

Yes, I know, everyone says such applications are so far from reality
that they are not worth any effort trying. I still consider that ODBC is
  at least a step, and I am only sorry PostgreSQL has a poor ODBC driver
(no large objects natively). Python also has a unified independent
database interface with the DB API, and so does php and maybe other
products.

Thank you for your help,
Timothy Madden