match braces?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid
Thu Sep 3 10:33:57 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-03, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com> writes:
>
>> Any editor worth its salt will offer indentation-based folding (I know
>> vim does, and I would be astonished if emacs didn't.
>
> Emacs calls that ???hide/show???, and the ???hs-minor-mode??? can be enabled for
> any buffer (and can thus of course be automatically enabled on defined
> conditions, e.g. whenever a Python buffer is detected).
>
> Learn more at <URL:http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/HideShow>.

There's only one problem: it doesn't work out-of-the-box.  At
least it never has for me.  The only thing it knows how to hide
is the entire body of a function definition.  I never want to
do that.  What I want to do is hide/unhide the blocks within
if/then/else or loops so that the control flow is clearer.
Emacs hs-minor-mode won't do that (at least not for me).

ISTR that you are supposed to be able to get it working by
replacing python-mode with some after-market version and then
patching the hide-show code or something like that -- but I've
never been brave enough (or bored enough) to attempt it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Not SENSUOUS ... only
                                  at               "FROLICSOME" ... and in