Entry Level Python Jobs

Adam adam.crossland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 13:15:04 EDT 2009

On Sep 2, 11:31 am, JonathanB <doulo... at gmail.com> wrote:
> For the hiring managers, if the job post said
> "CS Major" in the requirements, would you consider a liberal arts
> major at all?

I got my English Writing degree in 1990, and I have been a software
engineer ever since. Landing the first job was very difficult, but it
gave me the foundation of experience that allowed me to circumvent the
"CS-degree or equivalent" requirement on every job that I have had
since. If you do choose to pursue software development as a career,
you'll be shocked at how many of your fellow liberal arts degree
holders are doing the same.

It will be a hard road. You will have to overcome significant
obstacles. You will do boring, tedious work. You will find out what it
really means to pay one's dues. You will also, perchance, succeed and
find happiness in a fulfilling career.

I think that Python is an outstanding foundation for learning
programming, but I would advise you to branch out as quickly as
possible. I imagine that saying so won't endear me to anyone here, but
in good conscience, I have to recommend C# and the .NET framework; it
has lead me to continual and well-paying employment for many, many
years now. Also, put together an on-line portfolio of code, preferably
composed of complete and useful programs. Actually seeing well-
written, well-documented code can go a long way towards getting you in
the door for an interview.