module metadata variables

Roland Koebler r.koebler at yahoo.de
Thu Sep 17 11:58:39 EDT 2009

Hi,

many Python-modules contain metadata-variables, like __author__ etc.
But most documentation-tools only support some of these variables, and
some tools even define their own metadata-variables.

So far, I found:
- pydoc (-> pydoc.py):
    __author__
    __credits__
    __date__
    __version__ (additionally converting '$Revision: ...$' to '...')

- epydoc (-> http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/manual-fields.html):
    __author__
    __authors__
    __contact__
    __copyright__
    __date__
    __deprecated__
    __license__
    __version__

- some modules also use:
    __revision__

So, my question is:
Is there any "generic" definition of these variables?
Otherwise it may be good to define a "standard" set of such
metadata variables.

And I think pydoc should be extended to at least support __copyright__
and __license__. I'll send a patch for this, except there is any
reason against it.

regards,
Roland