SQLite or files?

vlad tmlwyb at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 04:37:52 EDT 2009

Hello,

I'm a novice in Python and got one question related to the information
storage for my application.

I'm currently working on rewriting my own the program that stores
everyday information sitting in the system tray. It was written in
Delphi some time ago and proved to be durable and fast enough. All the
info was stored in the simple RTF files.

However now I'd like to rewrite this program in Python (using PyQt) as
I want to make it cross-platform and add/remove some features. Now I'm
thinking about where to store my information. Would it be better to
use files as I used to do or use the database, SQLite in particular?
What will be faster and more flexible in the long run? This
application will be in the memory most of the time so I'm also
concerned about memory usage.

If anyone has any experience of comparison these two approaches please
help.

Thanks,
Vlad