Noob Q: subclassing or wrapping file class

kj no.email at please.post
Wed Sep 16 17:56:09 EDT 2009

I'm trying to get the hang of Python's OO model, so I set up this
conceptually simple problem of creating a new file-like class to
read a certain type of file.  The data in this type of file consists
of multiline "chunks" separated by lines consisting of a single
".".

My first crack at it looks like this:

class MyFile():
    def __init__(self, f):
        if hasattr(f, 'next'):
            self.fh = f
        else:
            self.fh = file(f, 'r')

    def __iter__(self):
        return self

    def next(self):
        buf = []
        for line in self.fh:
            if line == '.\n':
                break
            buf.append(line)
        if len(buf) == 0:
            raise StopIteration
        return buf

For the app I have in mind, I'd like to be able to pass an open
read handle as the argument to the constructor.  Hence the form of
__init__.

This works correctly, as far as it goes.  There are still many
other file methods that would make sense to implement for this
class and I'm wondering if there's a simple way to do it, without
having to actually write a whole bunch of methods of the form

    def foo(self, x, y, z):
        return self.fh.foo(x, y, z)

I thought at first that I could achieve this by overriding __getattr__:

    def __getattr__(self, attribute):
        return self.fh.__getattr__(attribute)

But to my surprise this did not work too well.  For example, if I
use a GzipFile object as the argument to MyFile, the iterator of
the resulting object works as expected, but if I attempt to access
its closed attribute I get the error

AttributeError: GzipFile instance has no attribute '__getattr__'

And it doesn't have __getattribute__ either.  (And here I'd been
thinking that __getattr__ and __getattribute__ were pretty much
universal...  Clearly not!)

Is there a standard idiom that I'm missing for doing this sort of
thing?

Thanks!

kynn