python decimals

Andrew Svetlov andrew.svetlov at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 21:27:04 EDT 2009

Is there some kind of python binding for decNumber library?
Standard decimal.Decimal is good enough, but very slow.
My current project toughly coupled with 'currency' operations and we
have performance problems related to decimal calculations.
>From my perspective decNumber is fast and has well wide domain to
represent and process all required set of numbers - we don't need to
work with 'almost infinite numbers' as python decimal can.
I tried to google for desired binding - but found nothing.
gmpy is interesting project, but supported types is not exactly what
we need - rationals and big floats is not decimals in fixed point
notation.
My team discussed about making own python binding of decNumber - but
before we start this task I like to ask python community: is there
existing implementation? I don't want to invent the wheel again.

Thanks.