Retracing your steps in an interactive python env

Jack Norton jack at 0x6a.com
Mon Sep 14 15:52:34 EDT 2009

Hello all,

I am playing around in a python shell (IPython on win32 right now
actually).  I am writing some code on the fly to interface to a rotary
encoder (not important in this scope).

Anyway, I have created a function using def, and well, I like the way it
is working, however...  I have already filled the command line history
buffer (the com.exe buffer?) so _what_ I actually filled this def with
is lost.  Now, it isn't that complicated, and I can easily re-write the
function off the top of my head, however it would be really nice to be
able to _ask_ python what makes up a def.
Something like this (remember I am using IPython interactive interpreter
session):
In [0]: def func(input):
.........:>>>print "im in this function!" + str(input)
.........:>>>print "doing some stuff"
.........:>>>sleep(10)

Then later on while still in this interactive shell session I could do
something like:
In [1]: what_is_in(func)
"The def for func(input) is:"
print "im in this function!" + str(input)
print "doing some stuff"
sleep(10)

and therefore be able to recount what I just did.

Cheers,

Jack