Extracting patterns after matching a regex

Martin mdekauwe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 08:56:02 EDT 2009

Hi,

I need to extract a string after a matching a regular expression. For
example I have the string...

s = "FTPHOST: e4ftl01u.ecs.nasa.gov"

and once I match "FTPHOST" I would like to extract
"e4ftl01u.ecs.nasa.gov". I am not sure as to the best approach to the
problem, I had been trying to match the string using something like
this:

m = re.findall(r"FTPHOST", s)

But I couldn't then work out how to return the "e4ftl01u.ecs.nasa.gov"
part. Perhaps I need to find the string and then split it? I had some
help with a similar problem, but now I don't seem to be able to
transfer that to this problem!

Thanks in advance for the help,

Martin