First release of pyfsevents

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Sep 3 16:33:21 EDT 2009

[posted to c.l.py with cc in e-mail, reply to group preferred]

In article <mailman.908.1251986896.2854.python-announce-list at python.org>,
Nicolas Dumazet  <python-list at python.org> wrote:

>I am proud to announce the first release of pyfsevents, a C extension
>providing a Python interface to the FSEvents API.
>FSEvents is an Apple framework for Mac OS X >=3D 10.5 allowing
>monitoring of file system events on Mac OS platforms.

I'm curious why you went with FSEvents rather than kqueue.  My company
discovered that FSEvents is rather coarse-grained: it only tells you that
there has been an event within a directory, it does *not* tell you
anything about the change!

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/SystemTechnology/SystemTechnology.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001067-CH207-SW4

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet