Feedback wanted on programming introduction (Python in Windows)

bartc bartc at freeuk.com
Fri Oct 30 06:39:17 EDT 2009

"Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps at start.no> wrote in message
news:hcdlsp$9ab$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
>* bartc:
>>
>> "Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps at start.no> wrote in message
>> news:hc8pn3$ddn$1 at news.eternal-september.org...
>>> [Cross-posted comp.programming and comp.lang.python]

>> You use the highly commercial-looking activatestate website; what's wrong
>> with www.python.org?
>
> I guess "commercial looking" is something negative.
>
> Please note regarding the question: I'm not a telepath. I don't know what
> you think is wrong with [www.python.org].

python.org seems to be the main site. Google "python download" and that is
the first hit.

Their windows download seems to be 13MB against the 32MB of activestate, and
the IDE provided seems more advanced that the 'console window' you have in
your tutorial. I'm just asking why your chose one over the other...

> And I have no interest in evaluating the site for you, at least not unless
> you pay me for that job.

...but if that answer is going to cost me money, then forget it. I think
that statement just answered it.

>> You say elsewhere that you're not specifically teaching Python, but the
>> text is full of technical details specific to both Python
>
> Yes. A programming language is required to do programming. Can't do
> without it, sorry.

You make it sound complicated however.

--
bartc