Feedback wanted on programming introduction (Python in Windows)

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Oct 29 14:05:11 EDT 2009

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> * James Harris:
>
>> You get way too deep into Python in places (for a beginner's course in
>> programming). For example, "from now on I’ll always use from
>> __future__ in any program that uses print."
>
> Sorry, but I think that hiding such concerns is a real disservice.

The disservice is in teaching folks to use non-standard elements, which
is (sort-of) what __future__ is.  Changes to the language are
experimented with in __future__ and can change from one release to the
next.  If memory serves, the with statement is an example of having
different behavior when it was moved out of __future__ and made a
standard part of the language.

~Ethan~