cool-compiling python 3

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 07:55:44 EDT 2009

Rustom Mody wrote:
> I guess this is a bit OT but anyhow.....
>
> I just finished compiling compiling python 3 on ubuntu.... and
> discovered that my laptop has a builtin toaster :-;
>
> Yeah I know this is not a python issue and probably modern laptops are
> meant to run wondrous beautiful elephantaneous things like eclipse
> cool-ly but heat up on a few gccs!
>
> Still does anyone know how/what/where I can tell ubuntu to run slow and cool?
>
> Thanks

I guess if you have said that your laptop is overheating, more people
would take you more seriously.

Well, you might want to check CPUFreq. You can set the CPU to run at
lower frequency or use the powersave governor before doing heavy
compilation. The CPUFreq tool is command line (cpufreq-set,
cpufreq-info, and cpufreq-selector), but I think one of the toolbar
applet can switch your CPU frequency as well.

If you compiled your own kernel (instead of using Ubuntu's generic
kernel), there is a kernel option that you might need to change.