Win XP: How to hide command window for sub processes?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Thu Oct 29 07:46:24 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:37 AM, Martin P. Hellwig
<martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org> wrote:
> Chris Rebert wrote:

>>> You need to specify the hide parameter for windows.
>>>
>>> import subprocess
>>> kwargs = {}
>>> if subprocess.mswindows:
>>>   su = subprocess.STARTUPINFO()
>>>   su.dwFlags |= subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW
>>>   su.wShowWindow = subprocess.SW_HIDE
>>>   kwargs['startupinfo'] = su
>>> process = subprocess.Popen( (r'c:\python25\python.exe',
>>>   r'd:\projekte\bar.py'), **kwargs )
>>
>> Interestingly, none of that appears to be documented.
>
> Except for here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425%28VS.85%29.aspx

I was referring to the following bits of the subprocess module used in
the above code:
subprocess.mswindows
subprocess.STARTUPINFO()
subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW
subprocess.SW_HIDE

none of which are mentioned in the module's docs:
http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/library/subprocess.html

Cheers,
Chris
--