Bug(s) in Python 3.1.1 Windows installation

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Oct 28 19:25:28 EDT 2009

En Wed, 28 Oct 2009 19:18:48 -0300, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at start.no>
escribió:

> I thought it would be prudent to install 3.1.1 for Windows from scratch,
> so I uninstalled everything (CPython, ActivePython), and then installed
> Python 3.1.1.
> In the "Advanced" option I told the installer to compile packages.
> The compiler then found a few syntax errors apparently in some text
> conversion test programs, and finally a message box popped up saying
> that "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package",

Did you install it over an existing directory, that might contain modules
intended for a previous version, e.g. c:\python?

Even if you uninstall Python, the uninstaller removes *only* the files
*it* copied; everything else is left alone. This includes
modules/libraries/packages that you may have installed in the past.
Libraries written for any 2.x version are not compatible with the new 3.x
syntax; if any of those libraries exist in the directory where you install
3.1.1, you get an error like yours.

The best place to report bugs is http://bugs.python.org/

--
Gabriel Genellina