Web development with Python 3.1

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 15:45:48 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Using a framework helps to ensure that your code is easy to maintain.
>
> I see, that is a good point. With someone else (the framework
> maintainers) worrying about maintaining function such as HTTP request
> parsers, a lot of work won't have to be [re]done.
>

>> DRY isn't about saving time now, its about saving time six months
>> from now.
>>

> I suppose in this case it's DRTW (don't reinvent the wheel) but the
> same principle applies.

Well, yes- but it's also DRY, and while DRTW (like the acronym, btw)
helps to prevent your code from being unreadable to someone else,
DRY helps to ensure that when you have to change something you
don't have to worry about changing it in 37 and a half other places
at the same time. Especially given how notoriously difficult it is to
do automated testing for web development, that's essential.

Geremy Condra