IDLE python shell freezes after running show() of matplotlib

Sat Oct 24 20:31:00 EDT 2009

Forrest Sheng Bao wrote:
> I am having a weird problem on IDLE. After I plot something using show
> () of matplotlib, the python shell prompt in IDLE just freezes that I
> cannot enter anything and there is no new ">>>" prompt show up. I
> tried ctrl - C and it didn't work. I have to restart IDLE to use it
> again.
>
> My system is Ubuntu Linux 9.04. I used apt-get to install IDLE.

You should really look at smart questions; I believe you have a problem,
and that you have yet to imagine how to give enough information for
someone else to help you.

Hint: I don't know your CPU, python version, IDLE version, matplotlib
version, nor do you provide a small code example that allows me to
easily reproduce your problem (or not).

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org