a splitting headache

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Thu Oct 22 13:56:05 EDT 2009

On Oct 22, 8:17 am, David C. Ullrich <dullr... at sprynet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:43:48 -0700 (PDT), Mensanator
>

> <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:

> >> Have you _read_ the docs?
>
> >Yes.
>
> >> They're quite clear on the difference
> >> between no sep (or sep=None) and sep=something:
>
> >I disagree that they are "quite clear". The first paragraph makes no
> >mention of leading or trailing delimiters and they show no example
> >of such usage. An example would at least force me to think about it
> >if it isn't specifically mentioned in the paragraph.
>
> >One could infer from the second paragraph that, as it doesn't return
> >empty stings from leading and trailing whitespace, slpit(sep) does
> >for leading/trailing delimiters. Of course, why would I even be
> >reading
> >this paragraph when I'm trying to understand split(sep)?
>
> A skightly less sarcastic answer than what I just posted:

And a slightly less sarcastic reply.

> I don't see why you _should_ need to read the second paragraph
> to infer that leading delimiters will return empty strings when
> you do split(sep). That's exactly what one would expect!

Yes, AFTER you read the docs. But prior to opening them, coupled
with a long history of using split(), there is no reason to expect
such behaviour at all.

> As I pointed out the other day, if you're splitting ',,p' with
> sep = ',' that means you're looking for strings _separated by_
> commas. That means you're asking for [s1, s2, ...] where
> s1 is the part of the string preceding the first comma,
> s2 is the part of the string after the first comma but
> before the second comma, etc. And that means s1 = ''
> here.

It behaves much like the CSV module, which I'm very familiar
with from Excel. But when importing into Excel, you have the
option of treating consecutive delimiters as one, but unlike
split(), a single leading delimiter will NOT be thrown away.
I would wager that the body of Excel users is vastly greater
than the body of Python programmers. It doesn't hurt to
explicitly point out the obvious, because what's obvious may
differ from people's experience.

> That's what "split on commas" _means_. It's also exactly
> what you want in typical applications, for example
> parsing comma-separated data. The fact that s.split()
> does _not_ include an empty string at the start if s
> begins with whitespace is that counterintuitive part;
> that's why it's specified in the second paragraph
> (whether you believe it or not, _that's_ what
> confused _me_ once. At which point I read the docs...)
> I suppose it makes sense given a typical use case of
> s.split(), where s is text and we want to find a list of
> the words in s.

Right, what I wanted was to extract the 'words' consisting
of blocks of contiguous 1-bits from a binary number and simply
discard the 0's. I was then going to do the same process only
delimiting on 1's to get blocks of 0's. What I was expecting
was split(sep) to work similar to split() as it is somewhat
unusal for the algorithm to change. I still think the
documentation could do a better job explaining this.

> Really. I can't understand why you would _expect_
> s.split(sep) to do anything other than
>
> def split(s, sep):
>   res = []
>   acc = ''
>   for c in s:
>     if c in sep:
>       res.append(acc)
>       acc = ''
>     else:
>       acc = acc + c
>   res.append(acc)
>   return res

A very good example, it should be in the docs. Have a look at
the itertools module docs. There they do a wonderful job of
explaining with numerous cases of "itertools.x is equivalent
to ..."