[OT] Supporting "homework" (was: Re: Checking a Number for Palindromic Behavior)

Mel mwilson at the-wire.com
Thu Oct 22 08:13:05 EDT 2009

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> writes on 20 Oct
> 2009 05:35:18 GMT:
>> As far as I'm concerned, asking for help on homework without being honest
>> up-front about it and making an effort first, is cheating by breaking the
>> social contract. Anyone who rewards cheaters by giving them the answer
>> they want is part of the problem. Whether cheaters prosper in the long
>> run or not, they make life more difficult for the rest of us, and should
>> be discouraged.
>
> A few days ago, I have read an impressive book: "Albert Jacquard: Mon
> utopie". The author has been a university professor (among others for
> population genectics, a discipline between mathematics and biologie).
> One of the corner therories in his book: mankind has reached the current
> level of development not mainly due to exceptional work by individuals
> but by the high level of cooperation between individuals.

A false dualism, IMHO.  It's true that cooperation lets good ideas spread
throughout the general human culture.  However, every good idea has to start
somewhere, with an individual or a tiny group.  Pressing people to
appreciate and (with luck) originate good ideas is a good thing.
Particularly in education.  It takes a person about eight years from birth
to being able to copy something.  I think the ten years of education after
that should try for more.

Look at where we are now.  A game of follow-the-leader has run out of
control and crashed the world economy.  A little more critical thinking
might have been nice.

	Mel.