Frameworks

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Wed Oct 21 04:44:36 EDT 2009

Emmanuel Surleau a écrit :
>>> One strong point in favour of Django: it follows Python's philosophy of
>>> "batteries included", and features a large array of plugins. There are
>>> also numerous other add-ons created by the community.
>>>
>>> Also, it has a pretty great administration interface.
>>>
>>> It still manages to retain flexibility, but you're basically stuck with
>>> Django's ORM
>> You're by no way "stuck" with Django's ORM - you are perfectly free not
>> to use it. But then you'll obviously loose quite a lot of useful
>> features and 3rd part apps...
>
> You lose most of what makes it worth using Django,

Mmmm... I beg to disagree. You still have the core framework (request /
response handling, sessions etc), the templating system, the form API
etc. As far as I'm concerned, it's quite enough to "make it worth".

>>> (which is OK for simple things) and templating language (which is
>>> OK as long as you don't need custom tags).
>> Custom tags are nothing complicated.
>
> Compared to custom tags in, say, Mako?

I lack _working_ experience with Mako (only played with it), but I found
it to sometimes have a "bend backbward" feel. One nice thing with
Django's templates is the very straightforward approach. Might not be as
smart and elegant - and certainly not as powerful, I won't even discuss
this point -, but hey, it JustWork(tm), and my fellow html coders can
use it without difficulty.

Don't misunderstand me - as a computer programmer, I of course find Mako
to be way above Django's template. But this doesn't make the latter bad,
and from the average html coder POV Django is easier to grasp. But well,
this has been debatted to hell and back, so let's not waste time with this.

> Having to implement a mini-parser for
> each single tag

Most of the "mini-parser" stuff is so very easily factored out I'm
afraid I won't buy your argument.