strange behaviour of colon within string

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Mon Oct 19 11:13:34 EDT 2009

khany wrote:
> On 19 Oct, 14:44, StarWing <weasley... at sina.com> wrote:

>> <snip>
>>> )
>>>
>>> here is the code
>>>
>>> ======
>>>   xml = <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> \
>>>     <findItemsAdvancedRequest xmlns=ttp://www.ebay.com/marketplace/
>>> search/v1/services"> \
>>>     <categoryId>%(category)i</categoryId> \
>>>     <keywords>%(searchtext)s</keywords> \
>>>     <paginationInput> \
>>>       <pageNumber>%(page)i</pageNumber> \
>>>       <entriesPerPage>10</entriesPerPage> \
>>>     </paginationInput> \
>>>     </findItemsAdvancedRequest>' % \
>>>     {'category':9834, 'searchtext':"bmw", 'page':1}
>>>   print xml
>>> ======
>>>
>>> if i run this, the page is blank (even the source) with no errors or
>>> anything. if i remove the colon from the string (after the http) it
>>> prints the string on the browser fine.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>> you can use a tri-quote string or make sure all lines end with \:
>> <snip>
>>
> StarWing,
>
> The triple String works a treat thanks. Not sure what the colon issue
> was though. Now im getting Unsupported verb errors but thats an ebay
> API issue i can work with.
>
> Thanks to all for your help
>
> khany

The original version worked fine in Python 2.6.2, once I combined the
line that the email/listserver split for us.  I also don't know what the
colon issue was;  I suspect some other change happened at the same time
you changed the colon.

I also recommend the triple quote, for a few reasons.  It avoids the
risk that you'll forget one of the trailing backquotes.  It avoids the
risk of having an extra space after the backquote (most editors don't
show the spaces, I insist on visible whitespace).  And it lets you make
the resulting string readable in source form.

However, for long strings, I strongly recommend you not combine the
string assignment with the % formatting logic.  So I'd use a couple of
lines, something like:

     format_string = """This
is
my formatted
   string %(formatfield)
with some indentation preserved"""
   xml = format_string % (.....)

You should consider running the program locally, and redirect the output
into a text file.  Then you can examine exactly what's being produced.
Sometimes the browser adds its own surprises.  I don't know anything
about the googleapps constraints.

DaveA