restriction on sum: intentional bug?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Oct 17 16:49:30 EDT 2009

In article <7e905311-c561-4b93-9414-f873e6fee533 at j19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Mark Dickinson  <dickinsm at gmail.com> wrote:

>For some reason that I don't really understand, the CPython source does
>the equivalent of concat2 instead of concat3.  See the builtin_sum
>function in
>
>http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/Python/bltinmodule.c?view=3Dmarkup
>
>and scroll past the special cases for ints and floats.  After a
>one- line source change, replacing the PyNumber_Add call with
>PyNumber_InPlaceAdd,

Ahhh, I vaguely remember there being some discussion of this when sum()
was introduced -- I think that using InPlaceAdd would have caused bad
behavior when the initial list was referred to by multiple names.

"To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen.  Every command is a
koan.  Profound to the user, unintelligible to the uninitiated.  You
discover truth everytime you use it."  --reddy at lion.austin.ibm.com