print()

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Oct 17 07:03:04 EDT 2009

Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-10-17, Dave Angel <davea at ieee.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> Except sys.stdout.write("hello") doesn't return 5.  It returns
> None.
>
> I don't know what the OP is talking about when he says "prints
> the number of characters":

You're right of course, I should have just tried it.  I must have been
thinking of read(), or maybe write() in some other language.  But I know
I've seen some problem like this, where the value the interpreter
printed was mixed with what the user wanted.
> <snip>
>
>> Either put the statement in a real script, or do the following trick to
>> convince yourself:
>>
>> dummy = sys.stdout.write("hello")
>>

> I don't see why the assignment is needed.

Only if write() had returned a value other than None, which is of course
not how it works, nor how it's documented.