id( ) function question

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu Oct 15 12:12:59 EDT 2009

> None, True, False, integers and strings are not mutable. The only time
> the id is the "same" between two objects is if they are the identical
> two objects.
I'm aware of that. ;-)

> CPython just (as a performance optimization) re-uses the same objects
> sometimes even if people think they're using different objects.
>
> In,
Integers are immutable so it was not part of my question.
> Christian's point is, I believe, that this is all an implementation
> detail to the CPython platform and not a language-defined feature.
> Other implementations may do other things, so one should not rely on
> this behavior. Basically, don't use "is" unless you really know what
> you're doing -- or are testing verses a singleton :) "is" is never the
> right thing for numbers. Usually. Ahem.
Well, I now understand that this is also "theoretically" correct:

True

The explanation is that you can only distinguish two objects if ARE
objects, e.g. they both must exist. In the one-liner above, the dict
objects are not directly compared, and they are not BOTH alive when
their ids are taken, so this one liner is a meaningless expression. :-)

I'm always amazed how logical and clean Python is. I do not want to
start flame here, but for other programming languages (like XXX :-) )
they could not even start a thread like this, because some terms and
concepts in other languages are not defined precisely.