The rap against "while True:" loops

Mensanator mensanator at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 17:11:17 EDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2:18 pm, Falcolas <garri... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 12:32 pm, Mensanator <mensana... at aol.com> wrote:

> > > Nothing wrong with a having a break IMHO.
>
> > My opinion is that there is everything wrong with
> > having a break. I don't think I have ever used one,
> > I write code that doesn't depend on that crutch.
>
> > > while not done:
>
> > > seems very dangerous to me as you'd have to
>
> > > del done
>
> > > before writing the same construct again. That's the sort of thing that
> > > leads to errors.
>
> > Duh. I won't write silly code like that either.
> > If I need more than one loop structure then I'll
> > do something like
>
> >     while not done_with_this
>
> >     while not done_with_that
>
> > Besides, since I _always_ initialize the flag
> > before entering a loop, the flag can be reused
> > and doesn't have to be deleted (as long as the
> > loops aren't nested). And since I don't use goto,
> > there's no chance the initialization can be avoided.
>
> > The best way to avoid the pitfalls of spaghetti
> > code is to not write it in the first place.
>
> How do you manage code where you need to drop out of a neatly written
> for or while loop early?

I don't. If I thought there would ever be a case when
a for loop had to exit early, I wouldn't use a for loop.

Similarly, if I ever felt the need to escape from a
while loop, I would rewrite it to avoid that situation.

> I don't use break frequently, but just like
> gotos, it does have it's place in well written code.
>
> Glad to hear, by the way, that you don't use gotos in Python. =D

Python doesn't have goto? Gee, I guess I never looked for
one. Learned my lesson from Pascal, eh?