"Error en el bus" from python

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Mon Oct 12 16:23:30 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2009, at 4:45 PM, Yusniel wrote:
>
>> Hi. I did installed a library for python named pyswip-0.2.2 but when I
>> run a python example with the next lines, the python interpreter, it
>> throw me the following error: "Error en el bus". The code lines are:

Makes me think of that guy from the Simpsons, in the bumble-bee suit ...
fortunately you don't need to know tech Spanish to decode this one.

> Are you on a Mac by any chance? I get a "bus error" out of Python once
> in a while, usually when a C library has done something bad. I don't
> know if this error is specific to OS X or not.

"Bus Error" is an old BSD-ism which I guess you don't see much in
Linux or Solaris these days (or maybe I never run buggy code ;-).  It
translates roughly to "segmentation fault", but IIRC it is more about
accessing memory words on nonaligned adresses than about accessing
addresses your process doesn't own.

[...]

/Jorgen

--