The rap against "while True:" loops

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Sun Oct 11 22:26:44 EDT 2009

En Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:46:06 -0300, Philip Semanchuk
<philip at semanchuk.com> escribió:
> On Oct 11, 2009, at 5:51 PM, bartc wrote:
>> Mensanator wrote:

>>> If you know this "exit that is always reached",
>>> why do you pretend not to know it by writing
>>> "while True"?
>>
>> When I'm starting to code something I haven't yet fully worked out, it
>> often starts with an infinite loop like this, until the body is coded
>> and I've figured out how to escape from it.
>>
>> At the end if may or may not be tidied up, depending on how much work
>> it is to reconcile several possible break points into a single
>> terminating condition to be place at one end, and whether that is
>> likely to break or obfuscate a currently working program.
>
> I think you bring up a good point. I think "while True" has some
> legitimate uses (like event loops), and I don't mind seeing it there.
> What I don't like is goto, and to a lesser extent break, exit, and
> multiple returns. I don't find too many cases where they're the clearest
> way to express things. And where one sees a "while True", one can almost
> always find a "break" or two lurking in the loop.
>
> IMHO, break, goto, etc. have their place, but they're ripe for abuse
> which leads to spaghetti code. Since the OP is teaching non-programmers
> to write code, I think the potential for abuse is especially important
> to keep in mind. I'd think that teaching them a tool like "while True"
> would encourage the "code now, design later" trap that even experienced
> programmers -- including myself -- sometimes fall into. Writing "while
> <condition>" instead forces one to stop at the beginning of the loop and
> think at least a little about exactly what it's meant to accomplish.

I don't think so; forcing ALL loops to have the condition at the start is
unnatural in some cases. Some loops are best written with the condition at
the end (do/while or repeat/until in Pascal) and some loops require a test
in the middle (in Python, while True: + break, because we don't have an
unconditional loop).

> In addition, isn't it easier to figure out how this loop ends --
>
>     while (condition1) and (condition2) and (condition3):
>         ...lots of code here...
>
> than this one?
>
>     while True:
>         ...lots of code here...
>         if not condition1:
>            break
>         ...lots of code here...
>         if not condition2:
>            break
>         ...lots of code here...
>         if not condition3:
>            break

For a loop that can be written as the first one above, sure, that's pretty
explicit.
For a loop as the second one, try to rewrite it with the condition at the
start: you'll end with duplicated tests and/or duplicated code and/or
artificial boolean variables added.

Some algorithms are *naturally* expressed as a loop with the condition in
the middle. Forcing the condition to always happen at the start requires
artificial steps that complicate unnecesarily the code.

--
Gabriel Genellina