best vi / emacs python features

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Wed Oct 7 13:29:03 EDT 2009

>> One feature I have that emacs don't is that I'm able to efficiently edit
>> a file on a remote machine with vim on a terminal (without graphical
>> interface), and I'm using it. Apart from that, both solutions are
>
> emacs has the same efficiency on a terminal.
> or maybe I don't understand your sentence.

Perhaps this is a reference to the alt/meta/control/buckey/super
key-chords that emacs is infamous for using that don't always get
reliably transmitted by all terminal-emulation programs and
consoles.  It was one of my nudging factors towards vi (and later
vim), because I occasionally used some terminal software in which
alt or shift+control+alt (and other such combinations) weren't
detected.  Never had that problem with vi/vim.  And when all else
fails, I can usually fall back to ed in a pinch ;-)

-tkc