organizing your scripts, with plenty of re-use

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:15:15 EDT 2009

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 13:46:09 -0700, Buck <workitharder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I think we're getting closer to the core of this.
>
> To restate my problem more simply:
>
> My core goal is to have my scripts in some sort of organization better
> than a single directory, and still have plenty of re-use between them.
> The only way I can see to implement this is to have 10+ lines of
> unintelligible hard-coded boilerplate in every runnable script.
> That doesn't seem reasonable or pythonic.

Perhaps I've simply not followed this thread closely enough but could you
let us know a little bit more about how you intend / expect the scripts to
be used?

If there's a standard directory you expect them to be dropped into by your
users (e.g. $HOME/scripts) then surely you could do something like:

	import mypathmunge

at the top of every script, and then have a mypathmunge.py in
site-packages that goes:

# mypathmunge.py
import sys, os
sys.path.insert(0, os.path.join(os.getenv('HOME'), 'scripts'))

?

--
Rami Chowdhury
"Never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity" --