M2Crypto 0.20.1 won't build on Red Hat Linux

Heikki Toivonen hjtoi-better-remove-before-reply at comcast.net
Fri Oct 2 02:37:08 EDT 2009

John Nagle wrote:
> The right question is "uname --hardware-platform".  That returns "i386" if
> running on something emulating a 386, even it it's 64-bit capable.

Thanks, I'll make a note that I'll need to clarify that part.

> With that change, the build runs to completion and and the regression tests
> mostly run.  Test failure occurred at:

> FAIL: test_cipher_ok (tests.test_ssl.MiscSSLClientTestCase)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/var/www/vhosts/sitetruth.com/private/downloads/M2Crypto/M2Crypto-0.20.1/tests/test_ssl.py",
> line 485, in test_cipher_ok
>     assert s.get_cipher().name() == 'AES128-SHA', s.get_cipher().name()
> AssertionError: AES256-SHA

> Ran 226 tests in 91.672s
>
> Is 'AES128-SHA' a cypher that Fedora Core doesn't support, or what?

That seems strange. OpenSSL does allow fine tuning what ciphers to build
and operate with, but this is the first I hear AES128-SHA might not be
turned on anymore. And even stranger still is that the test is
explicitly asking for 128 yet it is getting 256 back. Could you rerun
the test again just to make sure you can repeat it, and if so, let me
know the fedora core, openssl, swig and python versions?

--
  Heikki Toivonen - http://heikkitoivonen.net