Pyserial non-standard baud rate

oyinbo55 oyinbo55 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 20:33:26 EDT 2009

On Oct 1, 11:36 am, "Richard Brodie" <R.Bro... at rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> "oyinbo55" <oyinb... at gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:2feb36fc-106c-4d7c-a697-db59971dc910 at a7g2000yqo.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Using the standard 19200 baud results in gobbledegook from the
> > multimeter.
>
> You aren't going to notice a 0.1% clock skew within 1 byte.
> Forget about the difference between 19200 and 19230.
>
> If you have a scope handy, see what the output waveform
> looks like, and check the timings. If not play around with
> the rates, parity etc., until you find something that works.

Thank you, Richard, you are absolutely right.  Looking back at the
documentation for the instrument, I found the following:

"The data format complies with JIS 7Bits-transmission code with a baud
rate of 19230. "

I had overlooked the JIS transmission code because I didn't know what
that meant.  (It is the Japanese Industrial Standard).  Changing my
script to display the data one character at a time, I found it was
sprinkled with escape characters that Japanese machines use to switch
from ASCII to Kanji characters and back.

Does Python have a module that will translate the data stream and
display normal ASCII characters?  The escape codes appear to alter the
values of the characters in some systematic way.

Thanks again for your help.