Python RPG Codebase

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Oct 1 10:17:38 EDT 2009

On 05:46 am, jackdied at gmail.com wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Lanny <lan.rogers.book at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>I've been thinking about putting together a text based RPG written
>>fully in Python, possibly expanding to a MUD system. I'd like to know
>>if anyone feels any kind of need for this thing or if I'd be wasting
>>my time, and also if anyone would be interested in participating,
>>because of the highly modular nature of any RPG it should make for
>>easy cooperation.
>
>You might not be aware that twisted (the popular asynchronous TCP/IP
>server) was started as a MUD project.  It grew to do many other things
>but Gylph still hacks on his MUD code in fits and starts (interesting
>stuff too, not your typical LPC/Mush/MOO/Diku codebase).  There are
>also a couple pure-python MUD clients if you're into that kind of
>thing.
>
>I still follow this stuff in passing because I learned more in
>undergrad hacking LPC than I did in my classes proper (probably
>because I spent hundreds of hours in class but thousands of hours
>writing LPC).

This project's current home is
<http://divmod.org/trac/wiki/DivmodImaginary>.  Unfortunately, there's
not much there. :)  I'm hoping to give a talk on Imaginary at PyCon next
year.  Part of my preparation for that will be writing a lot more
documentation, improving the web site, and generally making things
friendlier towards newcomers.

Jean-Paul