Newbie advice

CSharpner csharpner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 00:53:00 EDT 2009

Alright, I'm not new to programming, but I'm diving in head first into
Python for the first time.  I'm running on Windows 7, just installed
"Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers" and installed PyDev in it and
installed Python 2.6.  I've written my first "Hello World" program,
which simply displays "Hello World!" in the console output.

Here's what I /want/ to do, but don't know where to begin:

- Write web services in Python (I've done plenty of this in .NET,
BTW).
- Write plain DLLs (is that even an option in Python (I told you I was
a newb to Python, didn't I? :))
- Write a web app (HTML front end, Python web services called from
JavaScript).
- Write a plain old web app with Python (no web services or Ajax, just
plain HTML & Python).
- Is it possible to create a Windows client desktop GUI app with
Python?  How?  How 'bout a Linux GUI app?

I don't know how to create and write a Python project with Eclipse to
tell it to "be" a web service or a web app, or if what I need to do in
the code to make as such, no "run" it from Eclipse to launch the app
in a web server and launch a browser automatically.  Can I debug after
doing this?  In other words, can I put break points in my web services
or web apps and go back into the IDE to step through the code for web
services and web apps?

Also, I'm not tied to Eclipse.  I'm totally open to other IDEs as
well.  SharpDevelop with the Python plugin looks interesting too.

And finally, I'm not completely committed to using Windows to host my
development either.  I'm willing to use Linux too (but would prefer
Windows... at least to get started, until I'm comfortable enough with
Python).

TIA