Building Python on Solaris 10?

Judy Booth Judy at invalid.invalid
Wed Oct 28 15:46:40 EDT 2009

Can anyone point me towards some instructions for building Python on
Solaris 10?
We need this for some of our test scripts and so far we cannot get this
to build.

We have tried both Python 2.6.4 and 3.1.1 and both fail with messages
like this:
Include/pyport.h:685:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `Modules/python.o'

The configure command used is:
./configure --with-universal-archs=64-bit --enable-universalsdk
LDFLAGS="-s
-L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/ssl/lib -lgcc" --prefix=/opt/python
--prefix=${PREFIX}

and the compiler version is gcc 3.4.3.

A search on Google showed this up as a problem several years ago and
suggested that there might be a problem with the way configure is working
on Solaris.

If anyone can help with this that would be great.

Thanks,

Judy