Ctypes and Structures

Martijn Arts arts.martijn at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 07:46:01 EDT 2009

I'm working with ctypes on a bridge (?) from WiiUse; a new and improved
PyWiiUse, but I'm having a problem:

When connecting to the wiimotes with the init function it gives me back
an array with pointers. Every pointer points to a WiiMote structure, this
all
goes well.
Now when trying to poll the wiimotes (check for events like button presses)
it should edit the WiiMote structures where's button presses using
bit-flags,
but it doesn't.

Here's a bit of code:
wiimotes = pywiiuse.init(1) # connect to the wiimotes
(...)
pywiiuse.rumble(wiimotes[0], 1) # little example of how it works

init function:
def init(nwiimotes):
    c_array = wiimote_p * nwiimotes
    wiiusedll.wiiuse_init.restype = c_array
    return wiiusedll.wiiuse_init(c_int(nwiimotes))

Now I'm going to poll it:

while True:
    if pywiiuse.poll(wiimotes, 1):
        i = 0
        while i < 1:
            print 'EVENT:'
            print pywiiuse.is_pressed(wiimotes[0], pywiiuse.button['Right'])
            i += 1

pywiiuse.button['Right']is 0x0200

This is the is_pressed function:
def is_pressed(dev, button):
    return (dev.contents.btns & button) == button

To be honest: I have no idea what is_pressed actually does, but it should
return True
or False?

After testing around a bit I found out that dev.contents.btns always equals
420.

Martijn