pyodbc - problem passing None as parameter

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Oct 22 10:01:33 EDT 2009

Hi all

I posted the following to the pyodbc google group, but got no reply - it
seems a bit quiet there. I hope someone here can help.

I am using pyodbc version 2.1.6 on Windows Server 2003, connecting to Sql
Server 2005.

This works -

>>> cur.execute('select ?', None)
<pyodbc.Cursor object at 0x00A91368>
>>> cur.fetchall()
[(None, )]

This does not work -

>>> cur.execute('select * from ctrl.dirusers where todate is ?', None)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module> pyodbc.ProgrammingError: ('42000',
"[42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect syntax
near @P1'. (102) (SQLExecDirectW); [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server
Driver][SQL Server]Statement(s) could not be prepared. (8180)")

You may notice that the statement is not strictly DB-API 2.0 compliant.
pyodbc has an extension that allows you to supply arguments directly,
instead off putting them inside a tuple. I have tried with and without a
tuple - the result is the same.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks
Frank Millman