problems on installing PyGTK in Windows XP

Yang yyangbian at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 22:12:33 EDT 2009

Python 2.6.3 is installed on my Windows XP throught the binary file
provided by Python.org. Then I followed the steps described here:

http://faq.pygtk.org/index.py?req=show&file=faq21.001.htp

to install PyGTK. However, I still get the following error:
>>> import pygtk
>>> pygtk.require('2.0')
>>> import gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\gtk-2.0\gtk\__init__.py", line
48, in <mod
ule>
    from gtk import _gtk

I googled this problem and noticed that there are quite a few people
having the same problem. But I am unable to find anything which helps
me solve this problem.

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Thanks!