The rap against "while True:" loops

kj no.email at please.post
Sat Oct 10 16:15:21 EDT 2009

I'm coaching a group of biologists on basic Python scripting.  One
of my charges mentioned that he had come across the advice never
to use loops beginning with "while True".  Of course, that's one
way to start an infinite loop, but this seems hardly a sufficient
reason to avoid the construct altogether, as long as one includes
an exit that is always reached.  (Actually, come to think of it,
there are many situations in which a bona fide infinite loops
(typically within a try: block) is the required construct, e.g.
when implementing an event loop.)

I use "while True"-loops often, and intend to continue doing this
"while True", but I'm curious to know: how widespread is the
injunction against such loops?  Has it reached the status of "best
practice"?

TIA!

kynn