Are there any modules for IRC, that work with Python 3.1?

TerryP bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 01:39:48 EDT 2009

Does anyone know of any modules for dealing with the IRC protocol,
that will work with Python 3.1? It doens't have to be super great,
just less time consuming then playing with sockets directly (and obv.
stable). The only module in my systems package manager is irclib for
Python 2.6. I can live with writing code for Python 2.4+ easily but,
ahem, I think it would be wise to write new code around Python 3.1
instead...  so yeah, here we are. Searching Google doesn't offer much
encouragement - just irclib and oyoyo.

Has anyone here tried using oyoyo with Python 3.1, and is there
anything else I might have missed?

# circumstances

Having recently been put into search for a new IRC client, and
everything I've thrown in the cauldron having become a
disappointment... let's just say, I've come to a conclusion -- either
I'm going to install ircII and live with whatever it has to offer(!),
or hash out something quickly in Python that fits my needs. If I'm
considering writing an IRC client, it makes sense to check for modules
implementing the protocol before I have to roll something myself, but
nothing seems to fit the bill.

(For those that don't know it, ircII is a really freaking old Internet
Rely Chat client ;)

--
TerryP