How to install 64-bit python on Ubuntu

Curious rutujaj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 18:32:37 EDT 2009

Hello All,

Ubuntu comes pre-installed with Python2.6 but this python installation
is a 32 bit installation. I need to use 64-bit Python on Ubuntu - how
do I update the current installation to 64-bit installation? Is there
any separate package that I need to apt-get?

I do the following to know if the current python installation is 32-
bit or 64-bit:

Python 2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:56:41)
[GCC 4.3.3] on linux2
>>> from struct import *
>>> calcsize("P") * 8
32

I expect to see the pointer size as 64 there..
If any of you could provide me any info on this matter, it would be a
great help
Thanks in advance!