organizing your scripts, with plenty of re-use

bukzor workitharder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 21:14:44 EDT 2009

I would assume that putting scripts into a folder with the aim of re-
using pieces of them would be called a package, but since this is an
"anti-pattern" according to Guido, apparently I'm wrong-headed here.
(Reference: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-April/006793.html
)

Say you have ~50 scripts or so with lots of re-use (importing from
each other a lot) and you want to organize them into folders. How do
you do this simply?

The intent is to have people be able to check out the directly from
CVS and have the scripts "just work", even if they're not directly on
the PYTHONPATH.

This seems to be the best discussion on the topic, but the conclusion
seemed to be that there's no good way. That seems unthinkable
considering python's dedication to simplicity and elegance.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/c44c769a72ca69fa/

It looks like I'm basically restating this post, which sadly got
dropped without further comment:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-April/006814.html