High-performance Python websites

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:55:55 EST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 7:33 PM, ShoqulKutlu <kursat.kutlu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Managing load of high volume of visitors is a common issue for all
> kind of web technologies. I mean this is not the python issue. This
> issue is mostly about server level designs. You need to supply load
> balancing for both web servers and databases to make your web site
> able to respond to several concurrent visitors. Of course a good
> programmed website is a key performance issue but for your mention I
> would also suggest considering how many hardwares, how many
> webservers, how many database cluster and which database server should
> be used or will be used in the future..

I don't know a lot about this issue, but take apache + php.  every
time a page is loaded a new instance of php  is loaded to run the
page, so i imagine load balancing can easiry be done on the page
request level by distributing instances of php processes.
whereas if you use python, you don't really want to load the python
interpreter for every page request.  as far as i can tell, the
canonical way is to have one app for the whole website that's
constantly running and  communicates with the server via WSGI.  or is
that wrong?  and wouldn't that make load balancing a little bit more
tricky, or at least different?  not sure..